I had the day off today with the intention of pottering about decluttering and sorting the kitchen area and utility room as it was getting a bit out of control. The goal was:
- To feel more relaxed in the space
- To be able to get to the washing machine and dryer without moving something out of the way
- To get rid of things that have been lurking around in the utility room that shouldn’t be there
- To put everything back in the cupboard under the sink (long story!)
- To tackle anything else that needed doing
Quite a list.
My husband did suggest earlier this morning that I do something for myself on my day off rather than cleaning. I told him that I wasn’t going to be cleaning, but decluttering. He understands that decluttering clears my mind, and rang me at lunchtime to see if I was feeling happy and making progress.
I didn’t feel like I was making progress until around 3.30pm, when I sat down and had a well-earned cup of tea! I was nowhere near finished, but I could at least get to the washing machine and walk around the kitchen without tripping over things.
It’s amazing how long it takes me to make decisions and go through everything – putting away, throwing away, recycling etc. We’ve also had air in the pipes under the sink lately so the cleaning stuff has been living outside of the cupboard which has been annoying.
Today I put it all back and left a small bucket in there to collect the water if it comes out the pipe. This is until we get the right tool to sort it out (weekend job!).
I feel exhausted, but happy.