I didn’t really get the chance to tidy in the conservatory after boxing up and removing the christmas decorations a couple of weeks ago, so today I gave the chairs a quick wipe over, swept the floor and tidied up a bit. The above is what it looks like so far which is better than it was. At least it can be used now.
What shall I do with the conservatory?
We’ve lived in this house for quite a few years and in this time have used the conservatory space for various things. When the girls were little it served as an additional area for them to play. Then when we got a new sofa we put the old armchairs out there. It stayed tidy for a few years and it was quite a pleasant area to sit and relax. I’m sure I have photos somewhere.
Then we had a period of time where the roof was leaking and so we didn’t use it for a while until it was fixed. Due to it being cold in the winter and hot in the summer, there are only a few months of the year that it can be used. Also, most of the time it’s too messy and dusty to sit out there and I don’t think about including it in my cleaning routine which needs to change. (usually because).
Just after Christmas, I dumped all of the Christmas decorations out there and a couple of weeks ago spent a few hours boxing them up and putting them in the loft (see blog: No Need for Expensive Boxes to Store Christmas Decs). They stayed in there a long time because it’s easy for things to do so. It’s another ‘clutter habit area’ like the spare room. The room is out of the way and not easily accessible from the kitchen diner, which is where I spend most of my time. If I could pick the whole conservatory up and attach it to that room, it would be lovely.
So, as you can guess, the room doesn’t have a purpose, so my plan is to work out what that might be. Looking on the positive side though, we are very lucky to have this additional space.
Some random thoughts for the space
- I’d like to turn it into an inviting space where I can relax
- I could work out there, as I need to work from home until the coronavirus pandemic is over
- I would like the temperature to remain constant so that I don’t have to go out there and put the heater on in advance. I’d like to find a way where it can be cool in the Summer.
- I would like to relocate or get rid of some of the items e.g. stereo unit, boxes, magazines, dining room chair, broken picture frame, sun lounger and other random items. I even spotted a deep fat fryer in the corner of the room earlier! I think it’s from when we used the room as storage when we were having our kitchen done a few years ago. If it hasn’t gone back into the kitchen now, maybe it’s time for it to go.
- I quite like going out there to get on the exercise machine, but not sure if that’s the right place for it.
- I’d like a small TV out there
- It would be a good space to entertain in the summer months
- The girls could have their friends over for sleepovers and they could use that space
- I’d like to extend the whole conservatory across the back of the house (not even sure how to go about that or if it’s even possible)
I’m feeling very tired at the moment, so I’ll have a think about it over the weekend.