If I was to close my eyes and really concentrate I can visualise places for everything in this house. Until recently I’ve been struggling to turn this into reality.
These are things that have been helping to move me forward. I need to:
- Stop when I feel overwhelmed, and remember never to continue in that state. I’ve realised that overwhelm is an invitation to slow down
- Quieten my mind at least twice a day even on days when I am already feeling calm
- Introduce routines and realise the absolute importance of sticking to them. And then add one more routine each week
- Breathe… slowly… in through the nose out through the nose… all day if possible. I learnt this from James Nestor’s book called Breath
- Listen to feedback from my readers and my family (the way I was doing things clearly wasn’t working)
- Stop procrastinating – just starting with doing something for 5 minutes tends to trigger a feeling to carry on
- Take action on what I intend to do rather than keep talking about doing it
I started listening to Your Spacious Self by Stephanie Bennett Vodt’s again today (great book and it’s my third time listening through). The following quote stuck in my mind…
“If intention is what steers the clearing vehicle, action is what gives it gas”Stephanie Bennett Vodt, Your Spacious Self
I have so many good intentions to clear the clutter but sometimes struggle to take action on actually getting rid of it all. I just shift things about. I think it’s because it’s all there in my face every day not allowing me think straight.
Today I saw it all in a different light and felt really motivated to get rid of things (I do love days like that when I really have the energy to take action).
Knowing that I have someone coming into my home this week to knock out wardrobes and plaster ceilings really made me take a good look at the bedroom and how much stuff is lying about.
I spent a good couple of hours sorting the boxes that have been sitting there in the bedroom for a while, and making decisions about the contents. A couple of boxes have gone into the garage for the charity run next week. They just need to be bagged up. I think I’m going to quite easily fill the ten bags that I’ve promised them.
Another positive step forward today is that I’ve ordered a few bits of furniture for my daughter for the spare room (her new room). There’s no going back now 😀.
The quote for redoing the en-suite in that room came back very expensive, so I have another plumber coming round tomorrow to quote on it.
Time to clear my mind now and get some sleep.