Today I kept hearing the words ‘I’m hungry’ from the girls. I was working, and although we had a small jacket potato with a little bit of left over chilli at lunchtime, it still didn’t stop them being ravenous by tea time.
I made the mistake us mums make and asked them what they wanted for dinner. They said that they didn’t want anything in the fridge, freezer or cupboards but luckily they left me alone downstairs long enough to come up with a few dishes from what was in the fridge, which gave me an idea for today’s post.
I didn’t declutter the fridge as such, but instead decluttered the ingredients that were scattered about the fridge with a view to making a selection of dishes for everyone. This would allow me to get rid of some leftovers and other foods about to go out of date. There was a part of me that really couldn’t be bothered to cook, but something came over me when I thought about how we could end up throwing a lot of it away. Whilst listening to an audio book, I found the energy and enthusiasm to do the following:
- I chopped up a whole iceberg lettuce (we threw the last one away so I was determined to use this one)
- I got out the leftover roast lamb (almost gone)
- I made my special mini roast potatoes which only take an hour from start to finish (we have a lot of potatoes for some reason)
- I chopped up an ‘almost whole’ cucumber that I knew wouldn’t get eaten otherwise
- I got out some cherry tomatoes as we had two packs
- I made a bowl of fusilli pasta (yes, managed to get some in the supermarket last week)
- I stir fried some chicken breast and then added left over tin tomatoes, tomato purée, ginger, lemon, garlic, mixed herbs, black pepper, chicken stock, spring onion and cashew nuts (my own made up recipe which turned out better than I thought).
- I cooked some asparagus
- I cooked some spinach that we had left in a bag
I don’t get excited about cooking but I did feel pleased with myself this evening.
When it was ready, I called the girls down and they didn’t complain, they just ate it. What they put on their plates was completely different to each other, but they seemed happy. I even have some left over chicken for tomorrow!
There’s a bit more room in the fridge now, making it easier to see what’s going out of date.
I hope you’ve all had a good day at home.